Today I'm excited to be participating in the Fifth Annual Pet Blogger Challenge hosted by GoPetFriendlyBlog.com.
1. How long have you been blogging? And, for anyone stopping by for the first time, please give us a quick description of what your blog is about.
I started blogging in August 2011. Mochas, Mysteries and Meows is for everyone who enjoys the cozy things in life: curled up on the couch with your hot beverage of choice, a great book, and a cat (or three) on your lap! I call it a cat blog with literary flair and a book blog with a pet-centric twist.
2. Tell us one thing that you accomplished on your blog during 2014 that made you proud.
2014 was a year of change for our blog! At the beginning of the year I made the decision to transition from a book blog with cats included to a cat blog with books included. It started with a name change: Mochas, Mysteries and Meows (previously Mochas, Mysteries and More) along with the purchase of a custom domain name. It was Truffles' first full year with me and I was more than happy to have her "take over". I still write about books, particularly the cozy mysteries that I love so much, but if a book doesn't include cats or I can't involve Truffles in some way, I most likely won't feature it. It was also an exciting opportunity to start profiling some of the adoptable cats at Truffles' Alma Mater, Franklin County Animal Rescue.
3. What lessons have you learned this year – from other blogs, or through your own experience – that could help us all with our own blogs?
Take advice and learn from fellow bloggers, but at the same time find out what works for you. Everybody needs to chart their own path and what works for one person might not necessarily work for you. Find out where your talents lie and take it from there.
4. What have you found to be the most successful way to bring traffic to your blog, other than by writing great content?
Comment, comment, comment on other blogs. People won't know about your blog until you get out there and be social! Pet blogging is such an awesome, supportive community and through it I have formed the most wonderful online friendships.
5. What was your most popular blog post this year? Did it surprise you that it was your most popular?
My most popular blog post was 5 Reasons We Purr for #BlogPaws. It was written in the wake of being chosen as the BlogPaws Blogger of the Month for January and was such an incredible honor for me. I had just barely made the leap of changing my blog name to Mochas, Mysteries and Meows, a move that I felt sealed my identity as a cat blogger, so this was just icing on the cake.
6. What was your favorite blog post to write this year?
Sorry, I have to pick more than one. I love our "Truffles Interviews" series and I think our readers do too. A Love Letter to Truffles: One Year Together and Feline Diabetes: Tara's Story are both incredibly special to me as well. And I had so much fun with my very first foray into fiction: Truffles' Halloween Tail: Part 1 and Part 2.
7. Has your policy on product reviews and/or giveaways changed this year?
If you do reviews, what do you find works best, and what doesn’t work at all?
If you don’t do reviews, is this something you’d like to do more of? What hurdle is getting in your way?
Yes, Truffles and I *love* doing product reviews and giveaways. I enjoy informing pet parents about new products on the market and at the same time giving Truffles the chance to have fun trying them out! Our favorites are toys and treats...Truffles is a treat junkie!
8. What’s your best piece of advice for other bloggers?
Blogging is a lot of work and a big commitment, so write about what you love. The two things in life that I could never live without are cats and books, so writing about them both comes as natural to me as breathing.
9. What goals do you have for your blog in 2015?
I hope to continue to gain readers by writing posts that appeal to my book loving, cat lover friends. I also want to build relationships with large and small pet brands.
10. If you could ask the pet blogging community for help with one challenge you’re having with your blog, what would it be?
Same as #9, I would really appreciate advice on how to build relationships with both large and small pet brands.