March 3 is known as "If Pets Had Thumbs Day," a day set aside to contemplate what cats and dogs would do with opposable thumbs. Sometimes I think you humans take your thumbs for granted...they give you so much independence that those of us with fur just don't have.
For fun I decided to make a list of what I'd do if I had thumbs. Many cats and dogs would probably use them to open bunches of cans of stinky goodness, but food is very low on my list of priorities.
1) Type my own blog posts.
2) Commandeer the remote control and turn off the news programs that make Mommy use HBO words.
3) Open the pouch of my favorite Pro Plan lamb treats whenever I want some.
4) Text Mommy at work to come home and cuddle me.
5) Better yet, turn off her alarm clock so she doesn't get to work in the first place.
6) Open the kitchen cabinet and knock the junk out to make a fun new hiding spot.
7) Unlatch all the windows and open the shades for optimum sun puddles and window whiffies.
8) Prepare a meal for Mommy of food she doesn't like to show her what it feels like.
9) When the humane mouse trap in the basement has caught a little victim, open the latch so he can escape and we can *play*...
10) Turn on my own interactive toys so I can play with them whenever I want.
That's my list!
What would your cat or dog do with opposable thumbs?