Statistics show that more pets go missing during the July 4th holiday than any other time of year, and July 5th is the busiest day of the year for animals shelters nationwide. Sadly, fewer than 2% of lost cats are ever reunited with their families.
Holidays are supposed to be fun, not scary, so we've put together a few tips to help ensure that both you and your cat enjoy a safe and relaxing holiday together:
1. Distractions are key: Play music, run a fan or AC, turn on the TV or radio.
2. Playtime! A rousing play session before events begin can help kitty relax and might even tire them out! This would be a good occasion to break out a brand new toy too.
3. Keep your cat inside. (Of course, this goes without saying any day of the year.)
4. Stay home with them if possible; they will feel safer with you around.
5. Keep calm and quiet yourself to ensure your cat that all is well and normal in their little world.
6. Make sure they have a safe place in your home to hide away stockpiled with their favorite bedding, toys and treats. Don't forget the litter box!
7. Lower the blinds and close the windows (make sure they're secure!) to limit the amount of light and sound they're exposed to.
8. Be prepared for the worst-case scenario by making sure your cat's microchip and/or ID tags are up to date. Current photos are a good idea too.
9. If you have friends over, make sure they know you have pets in the house and ask that they help keep them safe.