Friday, January 10, 2014
Pet Blogger Challenge 2014
Today is the 4th annual Pet Blogger Challenge, hosted by GoPetFriendlyBlog.com and Will My Dog Hate Me? This is my first year to participate and I'm so excited to read, learn, and be inspired by my fellow blogger's answers!
1. How long have you been blogging? Please tell us why you started blogging, and, for anyone stopping by for the first time, give us a quick description of what your blog is about.
I started blogging in August 2011. Mochas, Mysteries and Meows is for everyone who enjoys the cozy things in life: curled up on the couch with your hot beverage of choice, a great book, and a cat (or three) on your lap! I call it a cat blog with literary flair and a book blog with a pet-centric twist.
2. Name one thing about your blog, or one blogging goal that you accomplished during 2013, that made you most proud.
I'm the most proud of the fact that because of my blog, I was able to fulfill a lifelong dream of being accepted as a member of the Cat Writers' Association.
3. When you look at the post you wrote for last year’s Pet Blogger Challenge, or just think back over the past year, what about blogging has changed the most for you?
I started blogging as a hobby, now it is my passion. Writing about my two favorite things in life, cats and books, makes me incredibly happy, and the fact that I'm able to earn a little extra money on the side is just icing on the cake ;)
4. What lessons have you learned this year – from other blogs, or through your own experience – that could help us all with our own sites?
If you could ask the pet blogging community for help with one challenge you’re having with your blog, what would it be?
I would love for my readers and fellow bloggers to contact me with suggestions about things they would like Truffles and I to blog about...help us come up with fresh, fun ideas!
5. What have you found to be the best ways to bring more traffic to your blog, other than by writing great content?
Comment, comment, comment on other blogs. People won't know about your blog until you get out there and be social! Pet blogging is such an awesome, supportive community and through it I have formed the most wonderful online friendships.
6. How much time to do you spend publicizing your blog, and do you think you should spend more or less in the coming year?
I take time each day to promote my posts on Facebook and Twitter, but I really need to make the effort to become more active on Twitter. It's an amazing method of communication, but I'll admit that it intimidates me a bit :)
7. How do you gauge whether or not what you’re writing is appealing to your audience?
How do you know when it’s time to let go of a feature or theme that you’ve been writing about for a while?
I gauge whether or not my posts are appealing to my audience by page views and comments, as well as overall blog traffic. Thankfully I haven't had it happen yet, but I would probably put a feature or theme on the back burner for awhile if any of those numbers were decreasing significantly.
8. When you’re visiting other blogs, what inspires you to comment on a post rather than just reading and moving on?
For me personally, it pretty much comes down to whether or not I feel that I have something relevant to say. In my everyday life I'm a pretty quiet person but online I try to come out of my shell more.
9. Do you do product reviews and/or giveaways?
If so, what do you find works best, and what doesn’t work at all?
If not, is this something you’d like to do more of? What hurdle is getting in your way?
Yes, Truffles and I *love* doing product reviews and giveaways. I enjoy informing pet parents about new products on the market and at the same time giving Truffles the chance to have fun trying them out! Our favorites are toys and treats...Truffles is a treat junkie!
10. When writer’s block strikes and you’re feeling dog-tired, how do you recharge?
Usually making the rounds of all my favorite pet blogs inspires me.
11. Have you ever taken a break from your blog? How did that go?
Have you ever thought about quitting your blog altogether? What makes you stay?
No, I haven't taken a break and hope to never have to! I can't imagine quitting...blogging has become a part of who I am!
12. What goals do you have for your blog in 2014?
I hope to continue to gain readers by writing posts that appeal to my book loving, cat lover friends. I also want to build relationships with large and small pet brands.